Many people ask me how long will my cruiser motorcycle tires last. well
Certain cruiser motorcycle tires can last as long as 14000 miles or more, but there’s always a chance that they do not. Different factors contribute to how long a tire lasts. the average cruiser motorcycle tire lasts around 10k miles
important factors which contribute to touring/cruiser motorcycle tire lasting:
- Price of the tire, let say an expensive tire can last longer than a cheap one. The more you pay for your tires the better quality they have and that makes them last a little bit longer.
- The portion of driving, if you mostly use your motorcycle for cruising and not as a daily driver then the chances on your tires to last longer are higher.
- Weather conditions, if you live in an area with extreme weather conditions, let’s say a desert with a lot of sand and an extremely hot climate, this would make any tireless durable even high-quality ones.
- Quality of tire, there can be some differences between brands and their prices too, for example, Michelin Tires & Continental Tires. Both are good but depending on how much you spend on them will determine how long they’ll last before getting worn out or damaged by the elements.
- How you maintain your tires, can make the difference as well. If you rotate and balance your tires regularly it will help them to last longer.
- How often do you ride, if you use your motorcycle more frequently then this would put little abuse on your tires and that would make them wear out faster than if you ride less frequently or not at all.
- How you ride, if your style of riding is mostly with high speeds for a longer time, this would not only wear out your tires sooner but can also wear out other parts of your motorcycle too.
- Tire Pressure, another important factor, if you ride with inadequate tire pressure your tires will wear out faster than if you maintain the recommended tire pressure.
Maintaining proper tire inflation is also one of the most important factors in extending the life of any type of pneumatic tire. Under-inflation increases rolling resistance, causing heat to build up in both the tire and tube. Over-inflation causes unnecessary flexing of the sidewalls of the tire, reducing tread contact with the road surface and therefore reducing cornering ability as well as increasing fuel consumption.
Calculation on all factors mentioned above will determine how many miles will your cruiser motorcycle tires last.
Other factors contribute to tire lasting which I didn’t mention like if you didn’t protect your tires from the sun it can also reduce their lifespan etc.
Tips for Prolonging Cruiser Motorcycles Tires Life:
- Rotate your tires regularly, at least once a month or every 3-5000 miles if you do not rotate them monthly. The reason for rotating is to wear out the tire evenly so it will last longer.
- Maintain proper tire pressure by checking the pressure every month through an accurate gauge.
- Inspect your tires often, look for any abnormal wear and tear on them which can indicate issues with your steering system or suspension system that you might not be aware of yet.
- When riding in rain slow down since wet weather increases stopping distance over dry pavement by 3 times more than when riding in dry conditions.
- Inspect your tires after a long ride, a long ride most likely would make the tire expand. This can be dangerous if you don’t stop and check them. If the pressure is low wait for the tire to cool down, this usually takes an hour or two, do not put your motorcycle away until the tires are at their required pressure.
- Be careful when cornering, this is due to tires being inflated in a certain way so they have a good grip when riding straight but when turning it’s a different situation all together so when turning always keep your eyes open for any sign of irregular wear on your tires which could indicate that there might be something wrong in how you’re riding or in how your machine is set up, etc.
- Clean your tires frequently, when cleaning them pressure wash them but do not use hot water, if you can’t wash off salt stains then use baking soda mixed with vinegar instead, or just buy some expensive car detergent to remove these stains. Be careful when applying strong chemicals don’t let them get into your tires.
- Maintain proper air pressure in your tires, this might be a difficult thing to do especially if you have been riding long distances with low tire pressure which is very unsafe and can reduce the life of your tire.
how often should I replace motorcycle tires?
A motorcycle tire can last a certain distance or mileage, depending on factors such as the road conditions you ride on and if you have been maintaining proper tire pressure.
A most common time to replace tires is when they start looking worn out as this would indicate that your current tires are already at their limit which means that they will soon need replacement. In extreme cases, you should also replace motorcycle tires if they have damage from nails, screws, glass, etc. since these could become lost any moment now and cause an issue.
It’s good to replace your tires after 5 years even if they don’t show any signs of tire changing. which is recommended by the manufacturer.
How hard is it to change a motorcycle tire?
It’s not a hard process to change your motorcycle tires but it must be done by a professional. tire changing of a motorcycle can take to one to two hours and you should also be very careful about the tire changing process
Is it OK to mix tire brands on a motorcycle?
As far as I know, motorcycle tires should match the brand and model of your bike. Mixing brands will give you issues down the road so avoid doing it.
also, make sure that the tire size is okay for your bike. and the load index of the tire is also a must.
It’s better to use all matching tires on your motorcycle, this will give you a good riding experience and last longer as well.
Tips For Buying New Tires For Your Cruiser Motorcycle
The main goal when purchasing new tires for your motorcycle is to make sure that the tire has the right speed rating, load index, and size.
Motorcycle tires come in various sizes so do not forget to check that they will fit on your ride before actually buying them.
Also, the load index designed by the led light tire is a very important factor to consider, your new tires should have a higher load index than your previous set of tires.
the speed rating of your new tire must match that of your previous tires or it should be higher.
When you replace all three of your motorcycle tires make sure to do it with one particular brand and model, mixing brands will only cause issues down the road.
So if you want to get a great performance from your cruiser motorcycle I suggest getting matching tires for each wheel of your ride. this might cost you some cash but trust me, it’s worth it! That way you can enjoy a safer and longer ride.
Keeping your motorcycle tires in good condition is vital for long-term riding pleasure. This might sound like a lot of things to worry about but they all are simple and easy to do with just the right knowledge. Motorcycle tires are indeed the most important part of your bike, without them, you can’t go anywhere.
I hope this post helps you to take care of your motorcycle tires and keep them healthy for long-term riding pleasure. always keep in mind that one little thing like checking tire pressure can save your time someday. thanks for reading my article.
don’t forget to share it with others.