Motorcycles are a unique kind of vehicle. They offer an experience that is both thrilling and liberating. However, they also require a significant amount of maintenance to stay running smoothly. One important task that motorcycle owners often overlook is detailing their bikes. Detailing a motorcycle can be a costly endeavor, but it’s worth the investment to keep your bike looking its best. In this blog post, we will discuss the cost of detailing a motorcycle and how you can save money on the process. We will also provide some tips on how to detail your bike on your own. Read on to learn more about it.
so how much does exactly it costs:
well detailing of your motorcycles costs around $100-$300. but this is not the only thing you have to pay for while detailing motorcycles. A good motorcycle detailer who doesn’t rush will do some other things like checking the tire pressure, lube chain, check for rust, etc which is not included in that price.
so let’s say if you are paying for a motorcycle detailing service, then you are probably looking for something very good so the detailer will have to work even harder on your bike. also, remember that motorcycle is not an ordinary car that can be taken to the carwash and forgotten about it.
so if you are paying around $100-150 for this kind of detailing, don’t expect miracles. if you are paying $100 then the detailer will not even use an air compressor to dry your bike, he might just wipe down your bike with a wet towel and call it a day.
but usually, when people pay for this kind of detailing, they expect one thing: their motorcycle will look new afterward or at least nice and shiny.
the shine is very important for motorcycles because that’s what people see first, and it also gives a good impression of the owner.
but no matter how much you pay for detailing your motorcycle, cleaning and protecting will always be 2 separate things. it doesn’t matter if you use the most expensive wax on the market, at some point you have to reapply it unless your bike is stored in a garage that does not get direct sunlight.
so later down the road, say after 10 or more years, depending on how often you detail your motorcycle, you will have to do this process again. that means that even if the detailing costs are high at first, they are worth it since doing this regularly should not cost so much money every time.
in the end, getting good detailing will keep your bike looking nice for a long time.
Also, Read: How to Junk a Motorcycle?
What does detailing a motorcycle entail?
Detailing a motorcycle consists of several steps, including:
cleaning the bike’s exterior washing the bike waxing the bike cleaning and replacing parts of the bike which have been exposed to the elements, such as rubber trim, plastic, or vinyl work checking and adjusting all of the motorcycle’s components general maintenance
In other words, a detailed motorcycle is a well-maintained one. You can either take your bike to a professional detailer for this service or do it yourself. If you opt to hire someone else to do it for you, be prepared to pay around $100-$300 per visit as I explained earlier
Pros & cons of detailing motorcycle
if you are thinking about detailing your motorcycle then there are some pros and cons that must be considered before spending that kind of money on services that most likely will not be used very often.
Pros of detailing motorcycle
let’s look at the pros of detailing the motorcycle
- Extend the motorcycle lifespan: by keeping your bike clean and waxed, you will avoid rust and other damage that can affect the longevity of your motorcycle. Also, dirt can get stuck between parts such as metal-on-metal which will make those parts wear out faster than they would otherwise.
- Higher Resale Value: a clean and shiny motorcycle will be a big plus when trying to resell your bike later on. This means you will get more money for it, and you won’t have to go through all of the processes again which can be both time and money-consuming.
- Extend Your Vehicle Performance: dirt can interfere with important parts of your motorcycle. For instance, it can get stuck between metal-on-metal and make the engine lose power. Additionally, it can get stuck under the lenses of motorcycle lights and damage them.
- Less Stress: taking care of your bike will remove the stress of wondering whether you are facing expensive repairs in the future.
Cons of detailing motorcycle
- More time spent washing the motorcycle: if you don’t have a pressure washer then this can be very time-consuming. Since motorcycles are small, it is easy to miss parts so it’s important to take your time. Also, waxing takes up a lot of time because you have to wait for everything to dry before applying another layer.
- Expensive: those services are not cheap, and if you take your bike to a professional detailer then the prices will be even higher. If you do it yourself then you have to buy all of those products as well as equipment which can quickly add up.
- Not always necessary: if you clean your motorcycle regularly, then you can go long periods without detailing or waxing it. It will take a much longer time for the bike to rust and other things like that. If you haven’t cleaned your bike in years, it is better to detail it at least once before worrying about doing it regularly.
- Too much work: some people might not have the time or desire to wash, wax, and replace parts on their bikes regularly. This can quickly become a lot of work so you have to decide whether you are up for it before spending money on detailing services.
The downside is that if you pay a detailer to work on your bike, he will most likely tell you that after he is done the only thing you should do from now on is washing and wax it.
if you use a detailing service this is what they always say because it’s their business, they make money from people who pay for these services regularly. but many times, if not sure you can ask how often they recommend having your motorcycle detailed and if any other steps must be considered before beginning the job.
a good detailer does not just wash and wax it and call it a day even though most of his customers think this way. no matter how much you pay him/her, she or he will always tell you what extra services you need to have your bike looking nice.
detailing a motorcycle is not something that you should do every month, but it’s also not a wise idea to neglect your bike and not take care of it at all. if you clean and wax your bike regularly then there will be no need for detailing in between. or if you have the time and money then just take it to the detailer once every year or two.
you can do it yourself, and it will be less expensive and time-consuming if you do. but in the end, it is your decision and only you can decide what’s best for your bike after taking into consideration all of the pros and cons we’ve discussed above. we hope that this article was helpful to you and you’ll make the best decision for your motorcycle.